Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Metro, peasants & 1 naked lady

10-14-09 Braved the Metro today with no mishaps with the help of random Romanians and a prepurchased Metro ticket (Erina bought it for me). Hopped off at the Piati Victoriei - one of the very large traffic circles where the crazy drivers keep swerving in each other's lanes and there are no apparent street signs. I managed to find Sos. Kiseleff where the Peasant Museum is located - glad I had written down the Romanian name - Muzeul Taranului Romanbecause there are 2 other museums nearby. It looked closed but the front gate opened and I seemed to be the first visitor. With no help from the many employees guarding the exhibits by talking to their coworkers or their friends on the phone I finally figured out that most rooms had this laminated sheet you could take explaining what area and century the items were from. Well worth the visit - I've always thought that nobody paid attention to signs but when they are not available they are sorely missed! I'm tired of asking where the toaleta is.

Walking back from the Metro stop I spied a naked lady (not quite buck naked thanks to a pair of socks) across the street. After the classic double and triple take I watched for awhile to see what would happen. She failed to board a bus stopped nearby and was giving what I feel was a nasty gesture to passing motorists honking at her. She crossed the street and hung out for awhile, ignored by a passing police car. Not knowing whether this was normal crazy Romanian behavior I went back to Erin's apartment and she informed me that she has never got to see a naked Romanian lady. Aren't I lucky!

1 comment:

  1. Sally, I've laughed my way through both your posts! Please keep them coming--details of food, what your seeing, weather and everything! The way you tell it, nothing is boring, it's just hysterical. Keep it coming and have a wonderful time. Becca

    ReplyDelete