Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

This was to be the year I started a Christmas letter with all the free time not working would allow me. Didn't happen. Probably for the best - a yearly letter seems quaint in the era of constant blogging. The New Year's cards I bought also didn't happen so please allow me to indulge in reminiscing about the past year.



A three week trip to Romania to visit Erin brought me to a deeper appreciation of the good old USA and of course, Texas. Things I took for granted but now appreciate:
  • traffic laws that drivers actually obey
  • street signs
  • colorful clothing
  • discretionary income
  • attentive waiters
  • my car
  • people who smile & make eye contact
  • drinkable tap water
  • my local gym
  • small bodied airline seat mates
  • television stations other than those offered on the Armed Forces Network
  • taxi drivers that speak English
  • cell phones

Retirement has allowed me to like children again! I actually sat by the playground at Central Market and reveled in watching them play. I also didn't mind the Christmas crowds. Not having to deal with the public every day and be responsible for the children's behavior in the library has allowed me to revert to the fairly nice person I used to be!

As your probably know by now if you've read any of my blogs, my children are spread out over the nation and the world. Justin's an FBI agent in Miami, Erin & Jon work for the State Department in Romania and Rachel, Justin's wife, is busy with a residency in ob/gyn in Charlotte. I always said I'd raise my kids to follow their dreams, even if that meant leaving the Fort and damn if they didn't do it. Lucky for me, they're all coming to visit at the end of January.

I've decided to focus on the positive in 2010 and note something good that happens to me every day. There's too little time to let other people's hatred bring me down and I of all people, after dealing with the public all those years, know that the vast majority of people are good and it's that small minority that cause all the problems. Two good things have already happened today - 1) the calming relief I felt after an extremely hard yoga class when I finally got to lay on the mat and breathe deep. 2) the smile and "Happy New Year" I received from a musician, playing practically for free at Potbelly's, when I tipped him and told him how much I enjoyed his playing.

My New Year's Resolutions:

1. This will be the hardest. Focus on the good traits of family & friends and not their annoying traits/habits/personality flaws/etc (I knew this would be hard, but I have one more night of sniping).

2. Make more of an effort to contact friends and to actually do something with them.

3. Improve my yoga moves! This should be the easiest - there's no place to go but up.

4. Find a rewarding volunteer opportunity. My goal was to be selfish for 6 months but that's harder than it sounds.

5. Join the local Audubon Society. I'm a bird nerd!

If you have any comments for my blog please let me know something good that happened to you today!

2 comments:

  1. Sally,
    I loved reading your blog! Put a smile on my face and made my heart feel all warm. Today was one of the best I've had in a while. Long time friends David and Suzanne came over. David sang and played his guitar and Suzanne sang with him. I had already told myself I wasn't signing. No way! But, after a couple of songs, there I was with grandson laying in my lap, dogs at my side, signing. Rather loudly, I might add! LOL! I hadn't realized how much I miss all my friends from school. A number of you have kept in touch with each other over the years and I'm hoping to do more of that myself in 2010. Facebook has been a blessing. Better than therapy! I wish you a Happy New Year and maybe we can get together soon.

    Penny Worrall Mendez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sal, this is Al. You write a good blog. Let's see, something good that happened ... We had some friends over last night and had a good time catching up. But, the greatest thing about yesterday was watching the 3 Stooges all day long ... in HD even! What more could a guy want than to drink champaign and watch some eye poking.

    I wish the best for you in retirement. The greatest thing about retirement is the freedom and the unexpected ... that volunteer opportunity will find you.

    Your little brother,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete