Thursday, July 23, 2009

# 10, 11,12,13,14,15 Ning, IM, Twitter, Tags, Delicious and Digg

Digg - not for me. I'd rather filter my own news and information than have others do it for me. I would have been more interested if it was only recommendations for news and periodical sites. To add everything from the web including blogs and videos diluted the site too much for me.

Delicious is great - it's similar to Backflip which I joined years ago when changing jobs. It's interesting that I didn't keep using Backflip in the new job but instead reverted back to Internet Explorer's favorites (I think it was because of the slowness of connecting). I definitely will keep using Delicious since I'm retiring and want to be able to see my bookmarks from any place in the world. It will take awhile to tag the bookmarks I transferred from Explorer. http://delicious.com/sallymctravel

I joined Ning 2 years ago, formed a group for managers which none of us ever used. The concept is great - finding time to do it is problematic. How many things can one person keep up with realistically?

IM I have google talk at home - won't load at work. I keep waiting to try it with my daughter who is in Bucharest but since it's 8 hours later there we haven't connected yet.

Twitter is intriguing but so far I've just wasted time on it. I searched using the hashtag #ALA2009 and waded through everyone's comments but only found 2 entries out of 20 helpful professionally. I'm following mainly news sources now and don't see the advantage of tweets over having the news sent directly to my e-mail as I do now. When I upgrade to a better cell phone I can see more value in receiving these on a mobile phone. I'll have to spend more time searching for meaningful tweets. I did read the following articles that convinced me to keep trying. Update: I am now following Mary Ellen Bates, Research Buzz and Lance Ulanoff from PC Magazine. More useful.

All A Twitter: Want to Try Microblogging?
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6573999.html

Mary Ellen Bate's May 2009 InfoTip: Twitter on Context
http://www.batesinfo.com/may-2009-infotip.html

I have saved Unshelved's comic strip about microblogging in my e-mail since March and it still makes me laugh http://www.unshelved.com/archive.aspx?strip=20090311

Tags are with us whether we want them or not; it's similar to keyword searching of databases - I like the concept of graphical tags or tag clouds explained very well in another post by Mary Ellen Bates http://www.batesinfo.com/march-2009-infotip.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment